Since 1993, Abingdon Theatre Company has developed and produced new plays by emerging and established playwrights. Our actors, directors, designers, producers and staff have collaborated with more than 200 playwrights to develop original plays in New York City.
Under the artistic direction of Tony Speciale, who joined Abingdon in October 2015, the company provides a safe home where playwrights collaborate with supportive theatre artists and receive audience feedback. Plans for the future of Abingdon Theatre Company include:
- Launch a new education program dedicated to empowering underserved middle and high school students; a program that will provide the necessary tools and opportunities for students to tell their own unique stories;
- Introduce a new mentor/apprentice program that pairs established & emerging artists over the course of a season;
- Reimagine our reading series so that it showcases the most promising young actors, directors, and playwrights in New York City;
- Offer master classes by esteemed guest artists to young professionals;
- Form a newly focused writers group that is mentored and facilitated by industry professionals;
- Commission new work;
- Host artist residencies;
- Increase the programming on our mainstage and studio theatres;
- Retire showcase contracts in favor of Off-Broadway contracts that will enable Abingdon to be competitive in the New York theatrical marketplace, thereby attracting high caliber theatre professionals.
We look forward to seeing you at Abingdon during our 23rd Season of new plays.