Abingdon Theatre Company, completing its 22nd season, continues its mission to develop and produce new plays while operating two theaters in Midtown Manhattan.
The Artistic Director will manage the company’s day-to-day artistic operations. Key responsibilities:
- The Artistic Director is the “voice of Abingdon” and will have the final decision on all productions selected from our Development Program;
- With the Literary Manager, responsible for overseeing the Development Program including readings, staged readings, workshops, productions and talkbacks;
- Oversee casting along with production’s director;
- Schedule Board meetings and be the key liaison with the Board; communicate with the Board Chair and Committee Chairs;
- With Managing Director supervise the staff to insure professional standards and promote an encouraging work environment;
- Act as a primary liaison for visiting playwrights, directors and other artists;
- Represent the theatre and its mission at industry and public events;
- Research and assist in writing grant applications and final reports;
- Have personal contact with major donors (individuals, foundations, corporations);
- With the Director of Communications, oversee press releases, production artwork, marketing materials;
- With the Facilities Manager, ensure that theatres are well-maintained and efficiently utilized for in-house productions and rental activities;
- Participate in short- and long-term institutional planning.
Abingdon is a not-for-profit theatre company with a small, dedicated staff. All personnel chip in when necessary; the majority of one’s time will be spent in the artistic and managerial area, there are times when a mop and bucket rather than a pen and a laptop will be the Artistic Director’s tools of trade.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Seeking a talented individual with a passion for the theatre, and the ability to advance institutional aims. We welcome applications from directors, playwrights, designers, actors, and other theatre artists. Requirements:
- A degree in theatre or equivalent professional experience;
- A sound aesthetic foundation;
- Significant experience as a working artist at professional theatres;
- Experience managing people and collaborating across disciplines;
Email resume, cover letter, and references to: email@example.com
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
Stage Managers AND Assistant Stage Managers
We are looking for Equity and non-Equity Stage Managers for our Mainstage and Studio Productions.
Please submit resume to:
Kim T. Sharp
312 West 36th Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10018.
Interested in Volunteering for Abingdon?
Abingdon is looking for volunteers in both its administrative and production departments.
Contact us at 212.868.2055 for more information.